28 Sep Eurobites: Go easy on us or we’ll miss the fiber deadline, BT tells UK government | Light Reading
Posted at 12:33h in 0 Comments
Also in today’s EMEA regional roundup: Three Ireland switches on 5G; Oaktree buys majority stake in Zzoomm; Arm jobs under threat, says UK politician.
– grants “fair and equal access to infrastructure that is already in the ground,” including revising the rules that allow fiber builders to use gas, electricity and water infrastructure to lay fiber;
– sets up a subsidy scheme to help pay for the recruitment thousands of new network engineers;
– forces local authorities to allow, “as standard use,” the latest digging technology, and allow the laying of fiber across the front of a terraced house rather than digging up the street;
– grants the industry the same rights as utilities, which have a statutory right to build across land when it is deemed necessary;
– ends the higher business rates imposed on a fiber connection when compared to an older, copper one.
Paul Rainford, Assistant Editor, Europe, Light Reading